I read and re-read critiques on my shading job on this piece and made a few adjustments to my shadows. Now, I'm pretty satisfied with their placement. After shading, I went back to each layer to add highlights. I put 2 layers of highlights in the hair. But no highlights for the wings. The pants got some extra duty highlights to emphasize their shineyness.
Gotta have shiney pants!! (I want some!!
) Anyway, Once I had highlights in, I went back to each layer AGAIN and fiddled with brightness/contrast levels. Like one of my art teachers used to say, "Artists shouldn't be afraid to go darker"...or as I like to paraphrase, "Don't be scared of the dark!"
I'm lame. So anyway, I emphasized my shadows and brightened my highlights.
Then I went to work on the metallic arm. This was a challenge. But It worked! I used a complicated method I think. I'll try to explain. First I desaturated the arm so it wasn't yellow. Then I divided up the arm into it's sections. Over each section, I put a black and white gradient, adjusted the curves of the gradient, changed the opacity then merged the layer to the segement I was working on. Then I colorized the arm to a reddish bronze color. Added my own highlights then altered the contrast again!
That's a lot of work. Now I just need a spiffy background for him. Which'll prolly be a series of filters...or flames. Ooo...I can do some wicked flames. And make them white!! Oooo! Yeah...I'll do that. So while I do that...enjoy!!
Artwork and Demonycus (c) Modesty